request a consultation
Fill out our contact form and we’ll be in touch with you right away.
Can My Attorney Help With My Insurance Claim?
Everyone must buy car insurance in order to protect themselves and others in case they are involved in a car accident. Most insured drivers feel that their insurance coverage means they will always be protected, however that is not always the case.
Insurance companies are just that—companies—and they are looking to make a profit. They are not on your side and will not empathize with your situation in a way that you or I feel that they should.
If you are involved in an accident, no matter who is at fault, make sure you contact a car accident attorney like Mickey Keenan, P.A. We will handle the insurance companies for you, and make sure you get the compensation you are entitled to!
What to do After a Car Accident
The number one priority after a car accident is your health. Always make sure you take care of yourself first, and then proceed to the following steps.
- Record everything – If you are in a safe situation, take notes or pictures of the other vehicle’s license plate, car make and model, and car condition.
- Get the other driver’s information – If the other driver has remained on the scene, obtain their name, address, phone number, insurance company, and policy number.
- Call the police – No matter the size of the accident, you must call the police. The police will file a police report, which will later be used for insurance purposes. If there are injuries, the police will contact first responders and they can also control the flow of the traffic if vehicles cannot be moved from the road safely.
- Make notes on how you feel – After the accident, make sure to write down or record your feelings, your losses, and any medical bills. This information will be important when it comes to seeking compensation if you are not at fault.
- Call an attorney – After an accident, you are required to inform your insurance company about the accident. Most insurance companies want to hear about the accident within 24 hours, which means you need to call an attorney right away.
How to Speak to an Insurance Adjuster
In an ideal situation, you should always speak with a car accident attorney before you speak to your insurance company. An attorney is well-prepared and well-equipped with handling insurance companies.
However, if you are not able to have an attorney speak on your behalf—especially with the 24-hour recommendation from the time of the accident to the time you report it to your insurance company—you need to know how to speak with an insurance adjuster.
Your conservation should be basic, and you should only report the facts. You don’t want to speak too much, as the insurance company will use anything they can against you so they don’t have to pay the full amount. Here are the only things you should discuss:
- You were involved in an accident
- The accident involved property damage
- If any injuries were sustained (do not speculate > generalize)
- Insurance information was exchanged with the other involved parties
- Police were notified and a police report was filed
Remember, whatever you tell the insurance company can be used against you later. If you report you are feeling okay, but realize later your injuries are more severe, the insurance company can devalue your claim. Do not feel pressured by an insurance adjuster to say more than you must.
Read more > What Not To Say At The Scene Of An Accident
How Can an Attorney Help My Insurance Claim?
Insurance companies unfortunately are in business to make money, not to help you receive the biggest compensation for your injuries, medical bills, pain and suffering, and lost wages. Without an attorney by your side, you are at a disadvantage.
A car accident attorney, on the other hand, is in business to protect you and help you receive the maximum compensation. They deal with insurance companies every day and know what to say and do to get you the most compensation to make you whole again.
An experienced and compassionate attorney will make sure you are treated fairly and reasonably by all parties throughout the claims process.
Having an attorney by your side also allows you to focus on your health, on recovering, and on continuing with your daily life without having to deal with the hassle of an insurance company. Let Mickey Keenan, P.A. do all the work for you!
Contact Mickey Keenan, P.A. Today!
When it comes to an auto accident, time is of the essence. The car accident attorneys at Mickey Keenan, P.A. understand this and are ready to hit the ground running. For a free consultation, call us at 813-871-1300. Let us take care of your case and the insurance companies for you.