request a consultation
Fill out our contact form and we’ll be in touch with you right away.
Car accidents might simply seem like unfortunate events that must be dealt with until one happens to you. If you are involved in a vehicle wreck, you suddenly understand the challenges and hassles that arise. For example, your vehicle may be damaged to the point where you can’t drive it and need to find alternative transportation. You may be suffering from pain or disabilities due to your injuries. You may stop receiving paychecks because you can’t go to work due to your injuries. The list keeps going.
The good news is that if you are hit by a negligent driver or someone else is responsible for your accident, a Tampa car accident lawyer can help you seek financial compensation for your injuries.
Causes of Tampa Car Wrecks
Many different factors can cause vehicle wrecks in and around Tampa. Unfortunately, many of them can be traced back to a negligent driver. So, it’s always a good idea to contact a Tampa car accident lawyer after an accident so that they can determine how your accident occurred and who should be held accountable for it. Here are some common causes of car accidents in Tampa.
Distracted driving comes in many forms. Currently, technology is a significant cause of distracted driving. Drivers are too busy managing their infotainment systems, talking or texting on their cell phones, or using their GPS devices to give their full attention to driving. But that’s not all; applying makeup, other personal hygiene tasks, talking to passengers, dealing with children or pets, and eating or drinking also causes drivers to become distracted. Even looking at other accidents on the road or daydreaming can cause distraction.
Despite widespread public knowledge about the dangers of drinking or doing drugs and getting behind the wheel, intoxicated driving still leads to far too many accidents every year. It’s a driver’s responsibility to know when they have had too much to drink or when a medication is affecting them, and they shouldn’t be behind the wheel. Unfortunately, too many drivers think they are okay when, they are not. Unfortunately, other lives often suffer due to their negligent choices.
Sometimes motor vehicle accidents can be caused by car or car part manufacturer defects, often making the accident the manufacturer’s fault. For example, it could be faulty tires, brake pads, or another part. When it comes to product liability, the problem could be that the part was defectively designed or that it was designed correctly or manufactured incorrectly.
Frequently, drivers don’t understand that their speed can increase the chance of an accident and increase the severity of the injuries that can arise from one. Therefore, drivers need to ensure they follow all posted speed limit signs and be aware that some conditions may require them to drive slower than the speed limit, such as if it is raining outside or there are other vehicles pulled over on the side of the road.
Common Car Accident Injuries and Losses
Car accidents can result in a wide range of injuries, varying in severity based on factors such as the speed of the vehicles involved, the point of impact, and the use of safety restraints. Common car accident injuries include:
- Broken bones
- Back injuries
- Head trauma and traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Soft tissue injuries
- Internal injuries
You should always seek immediate medical attention after a car accident, even if injuries seem minor at first. Some injuries may not manifest symptoms right away, and a medical evaluation can identify any hidden injuries or complications.
Prompt treatment and ongoing care are crucial for recovery and minimizing long-term effects. It is also important to prove your accident-related injuries and losses to insurance companies.
No matter what type of injuries you suffered, always discuss your legal rights with our law firm. If you incurred any losses at all, we can assess the opportunity for compensation, including a possible third-party claim against the at-fault driver. Our car accident attorneys regularly seek financial recovery for the following losses, among others:
- Medical bills
- Future medical treatment costs
- Lost income
- Future lost earning abilities
- Physical and mental pain and suffering
- Permanent injuries
In the tragic event your family lost a loved one in a car accident, we can advise on your rights to seek compensation for wrongful death.
Our goal is to ensure you obtain the financial support and justice you deserve after your crash. Reach out to learn more about our legal team and services today.
Steps to Seek Compensation for Your Car Accident Injuries
Once you know the injuries you suffered and who should be liable, your attorney can begin the process of seeking compensation by filing the proper insurance claims. This can include filing claims with your PIP coverage and the at-fault driver’s insurance, if you are eligible.
Insurance companies can be difficult and reluctant to pay out on claims. You want an experienced car accident lawyer handling this entire process. Our law firm can:
- Notify your insurance company about the accident as soon as possible. Always have a legal professional speak with insurers to protect your rights.
- Collect all pertinent information about the accident, including the contact and insurance details of the at-fault party, as well as any witnesses. Take photos of the accident scene, vehicle damage, and injuries.
- Reach out to the at-fault party’s insurance company to initiate the claims process. Provide them with the necessary information, such as the accident report, photos, and medical records.
- Present evidence of all your losses and expenses related to the accident, including medical bills, property damage, vehicle repairs, rental car costs, and lost wages. These records will help determine the compensation you are entitled to.
- Negotiate a settlement for you. The insurance company may offer an inadequate settlement amount, and we can negotiate for a higher amount that adequately covers your damages.
- If we cannot reach a fair agreement through negotiations, we may need to pursue legal action by filing a personal injury lawsuit in civil court against the at-fault party.
Having the right legal help is critical from the very start of this process. We can ensure you receive as much compensation as possible, given your circumstances.
What Does a Car Accident Attorney Do?
A car accident attorney takes on many responsibilities. First, they help you understand your rights regarding Florida’s personal injury laws. They can help support you and protect you against the insurance company’s tactics to devalue or deny your claim. Next, they provide legal advice, of which most car accident victims get plenty of. However, it’s imperative to receive sound legal advice right away after your accident from a credible source.
Tampa car accident lawyers know what should happen after a car wreck. They have many years of education, training, and hands-on experience with these types of claims. They can scrutinize the specific details of your case and provide you with the best advice on seeking the full financial recovery you need.
A successful car accident claim involves a lot of work and investigation. Your Tampa car accident attorney does a lot of behind-the-scenes work to build a strong case for you and uphold your rights. They can help you:
- Investigate your accident
- Gather all related information, including photos, videos, witness statements, police reports, and other types of proof of damages
- Draft and file a personal injury claim with the liable driver’s insurance carrier
- Negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance company
- File a lawsuit in civil court if the insurance company refuses to negotiate a full and fair settlement
- Manage every step of the pretrial process
- Represent you in court
Frequently Asked Questions
When Should I Call an Attorney After a Car Wreck?
After being in a motor vehicle accident, attend to your medical needs first. This might mean going via ambulance to the emergency room or having someone drive you there. It might also mean seeing your family physician the next day. Once you are medically stable, your next priority is to contact a seasoned Tampa car accident lawyer. Ideally, you should contact one within days of your vehicle wreck. Hiring an attorney as soon as possible has several benefits, including:
- Protection from insurance adjusters who may offer you a meager settlement because they think you don’t know the actual value of your claim and know you haven’t talked to a lawyer
- Protection from insurance adjusters who may twist your words and force you into providing a recorded statement when you don’t have to give one
- Ensuring your case is filed within Florida’s four-year statute of limitations or deadline for filing a car accident injury claim
- Having them gather and preserve certain pieces of evidence, such as those found at the scene of the accident
Reach out to a Reputable Tampa Car Accident Lawyer Today
Suppose you or someone you love was recently involved in a car accident and suffered injuries. In that case, the Tampa car accident attorneys at Mickey Keenan, PA, are here for you. We can help you pick up the pieces and pay your bills by holding all liable parties accountable for their actions. Call 813-871-1300 or contact us online today to schedule a free case review and learn more about how our attorneys can help you.