Tampa Florida
Free Consultations

request a consultation

Fill out our contact form and we’ll be in touch with you right away.

By providing your phone number, you agree to receive text messages from Mickey Keenan PA. Message and data rates may apply. Message frequency varies.

My Slip and Fall Accident Happened on a Rental Property. What Should I Do Now?

If you slip and fall in your own home, it is unlikely that someone else will be liable for your losses. On the other hand, if you slip and fall at a store because of hazardous conditions, the store should be liable.

But who is at fault for a slip and fall at a rental property? If you slip and fall at an apartment, can you seek compensation? The answer differs depending on your circumstances, so always seek help from a slip and fall attorney serving The Villages.

Inside the Apartment

The first question to ask to determine who is liable for a slip and fall at an apartment building is whether the incident occurred inside the apartment unit or not. Inside your own home, rented or owned, you are responsible for a wet floor, a loose cord, or something left out in the hallway. If you slipped and fell in a friend’s apartment, their renter’s insurance should cover your losses.

Outside the Apartment

Addressing tripping or slipping hazards in the common areas of an apartment complex is the premises owner’s responsibility. To hold them liable, however, you must show that the property manager or maintenance crew knew or should have known of the hazard through regular inspections.

Some hazards that might cause slip and falls in common areas include:

What to Do After Your Slip and Fall

After a fall, you should seek medical attention immediately if you have any pain, stiffness, limited range of motion, or apparent injuries. Also get checked out if you hit your head as you fell. Getting a prompt diagnosis is critical to protect your health, as well as to create a record of your injuries for a potential slip and fall accident claim. Insurance companies will require evidence of your injuries and treatment needs.

If you were injured in a slip and fall accident at your rented property and the hazard was someone else’s responsibility, you should contact a lawyer in The Villages and learn your options. During a free consultation, a slip and fall attorney can advise you:

Never delay in learning about your legal rights and options after a slip and fall on a rental property.

Reach Out to a The Villages Slip and Fall Lawyer Today

The Villages personal injury lawyers are going to be your guide through the slip and fall accident claim process if you were injured in The Villages. Mickey Keenan P.A. is a group of dedicated and experienced slip and fall lawyers ready to help you take on liable parties and their insurance companies.

Call our office or submit our contact form to schedule your free consultation and get started today!