request a consultation
Fill out our contact form and we’ll be in touch with you right away.
How To Recover from the Most Common Car Accident Injuries
You never think you will be in a car accident until it is too late. The reality is they happen more often than we think, and they don’t discriminate—they can happen to anyone!
It is important to know how to deal with the aftermath of a car accident, in regards to your injuries and how to take care of them. The attorneys at Mickey Keenan, P.A. want you to be prepared with the knowledge of how car accidents typically occur, common injuries, and how to recover from them. Remember, the most important thing to do if you find yourself in a car accident is to seek medical attention immediately, even if you do not feel or appear hurt.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
Numerous reasons and factors cause car accidents, but overall, there are four major causes of car accidents across the United States. While Florida may rank higher in some common causes than other states, as a driver you should be mindful of all the most common ones. While someone may be preventable with knowledge and defensive driving, it is sometimes impossible to prevent accidents when other drivers are not as aware.
- Speeding: You should always obey the speed limit and drive following the road and weather conditions. If it is raining outside, make sure to slow down so you have more time to react. Always plan and make sure you have enough time to reach your destination in case there are weather delays or traffic delays.
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving is one of the most common causes of car accidents. With technology today it is very easy to be distracted, and even looking away for just a second at your phone or changing your music can cause you to have an accident. Always make sure you keep your eyes on the road, and if possible, never use your phone while driving and have a passenger help you navigate the music, maps, etc.
- Drunk driving: Never drink and drive. This accident is fully preventable on your end. Never get behind the wheel if you have been drinking. Plan ahead to have a designated driver or use a ride share program (such as Uber or Lyft) to get home.
- Weather: Weather is a common cause of car accidents. For us here in Florida, we must be prepared for lots of rain. If you do not have to leave the house in a storm, do not. If you do, make sure you give yourself extra time, slow down, and be extra cautious.
Common Injuries from Car Accidents
As with the most common causes of car accidents, there are also a huge variety of injuries sustained from car accidents. But three car accident injuries are the most common and can cause a lot of pain and suffering long term.
- Whiplash: This is the most common car accident injury. Whiplash is an injury that occurs to the neck and spine when the head is suddenly and violently jerked forward and backward. Whiplash symptoms can include neck pain, headaches, stiffness, and dizziness. Whiplash symptoms may take several days to a week to appear, which makes it more important to seek a medical professional immediately after a car accident.
- Soft tissue injuries: Soft tissue injuries are the injuries we may think of the most when we think of car accident injuries. They are bruises, cuts, and scrapes that occur from a car accident. While most of these can be treated at home, it is still a good idea to seek medical attention to document your injuries for insurance purposes or if they are severe.
- Broken bones: A broken bone (or fracture) is also extremely common in a car accident. These injuries occur more often from high-impact accidents.
No matter what type of injury you have—or even if you do not think you have an injury—it is vital that you seek medical attention immediately. While some injuries are more obvious, such as a broken bone, or a laceration, other injuries can show up slowly over days or weeks, and those injuries tend to be long-lasting and require long-term medical care. Without proper documentation and immediate medical attention, your insurance may not cover these injuries.
How to Recover from Car Accident Injuries
As mentioned, the first thing you need to do after a car accident is to seek medical attention. They will be able to help you with your immediate needs, whether it is medication, stitches, a cast, etc. But even if you feel okay after an accident, it is important to still properly “recover” from an accident, as symptoms may not present themselves immediately and could become worse over time.
In addition to seeking medical attention, it is important to do these five things to help you recover after an accident:
- Eat well
- See a chiropractor
- Focus on your mental health
Involved in a Car Accident? Call Mickey Keenan, P.A. Today!
Unfortunately, car accidents occur frequently; therefore, it is crucial to know what the most common causes, injuries, and ways to recover are.
Car accident injuries can also be very costly. From medical bills to leave of absence from work and to pain and suffering, this is why when you are involved in a car accident, the first then you need to do is seek medical attention, and then the second thing you need to do is contact the personal injury attorneys at Mickey Keenan, P.A. Call us today at 813-871-1300 for a free consultation!