request a consultation
Fill out our contact form and we’ll be in touch with you right away.
How Many Slip & Fall Injuries Occur Every Year?
There is no way to truly know how many people slip and fall each year. This is because many people slip, fall, and are able to get back up again and continue on their way with little more than a bruised ego. These falls are usually not reported or included in statistics anywhere.
However, we do have reports on slip and falls that result in injuries, which commonly also result in injury claims. Consider the following statistics for the United States:
- About one million people visit emergency rooms for treatment due to slip and fall injuries each year
- Slip and falls make up 12 percent of all fall-related injuries
- One in three people older than 65 will fall each year, and 50 percent will be repeat fallers
- 85 percent of workers’ compensation claims are due to slip and falls on the job
Slip and fall injuries are more common than most people think, and they can lead to significant losses. If you suffered injuries, speak with a Tampa slip and fall attorney today.
Where Do Slip and Falls Commonly Happen in Tampa?
Slip and fall accidents can happen in various locations throughout Tampa. Some common places where slip and falls occur include:
- Grocery stores and big box stores
- Shopping malls and centers
- Parking lots
- Public spaces
- Private residences
- Condo and apartment common areas
These accidents may be caused by hazardous conditions such as wet or slippery floors, uneven surfaces, inadequate lighting, debris, or lack of warning signs. When property owners or businesses fail to keep their premises reasonably safe, they should be liable for any injuries and losses you experience.
What to Do After Your Slip and Fall Injury
If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident, it’s important to take certain steps to protect your well-being and preserve your legal rights. These steps include:
- Seek medical attention - Your health and safety should be the top priority. If you’re injured, seek immediate medical attention. Even if your injuries seem minor, it’s crucial to get a professional evaluation as some injuries may have delayed symptoms.
- Report the incident - Notify the property owner, manager, or supervisor about the accident. Request that an incident report be filed and ask for a copy for your records. Be sure to provide accurate details of how the accident occurred.
- Preserve evidence - Keep any evidence related to your slip and fall injury, such as medical records, bills, and receipts for treatments or medications. These documents will be essential when filing an insurance claim or pursuing a legal case.
- Consult with an attorney - Perhaps the most important step after medical attention is to consult with an injury attorney experienced in slip and fall cases. We can evaluate the circumstances of your accident, assess your potential claim, and guide you through the legal process.
Learn How Our Tampa Slip and Fall Accident Attorneys Can Help
The legal team of Mickey Keenan, P.A. represents clients who suffered injuries in slip and falls, as well as many other types of accidents. If you would like us to assess your legal rights for free, contact us to set up your no-cost, no-obligation consultation.