request a consultation
Fill out our contact form and we’ll be in touch with you right away.
What Should You Search for in Your Car Insurance?
Insurance is a necessity for anyone who is out on the road driving (yet in Florida, 1 in 7 drivers are not insured or underinsured). Car insurance not only protects you and those in your vehicle but others on the road.
Many people stick with the same insurer for years and may make the initial coverage decision based on price. Then, many drivers don’t take the time to review their policy for years. This sadly can leave you without key coverage should an accident happen.
Without the right coverage, there may not be much our injury attorneys can do to help you. Here is a crash course on what you should search for when shopping for car insurance:
I Think I’m Covered…
It may have been awhile since your last policy review, let’s look at some car insurance basics. Protecting your assets and your health are the two main benefits of carrying car insurance. These are the main types of coverage that you will see in your policy:
- Liability Insurance : This coverage pays for third-party personal injury and death, as well as any damage that occurs to another person’s property due to a collision with your vehicle. This coverage is REQUIRED in all but a few states.
- Collision Insurance : This coverage pays to repair your vehicle after an accident. You are required to carry this coverage if you have a loan on your vehicle.
- Comprehensive Insurance : This coverage pays for damages to your vehicle as a result of theft, vandalism, fire, water, etc.
You can also choose to add these coverages to your insurance policy:
- Medical Payments/Personal Injury Protection: Personal injury protection pays the cost of any medical bills that you and your passengers need in the event of an accident.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage : We can’t stress this enough: you need UM coverage. While optional, this provides medical and property damage coverage if you are involved in a collision with an uninsured or underinsured motorist. Stay safe on the road! One in seven drivers in Florida aren’t insured properly and if you get in an accident with one, your insurance may not be enough to cover your injuries.
Add Uninsured coverage to your policy: Florida ranks #1 as having the highest number of uninsured drivers in the country, at 26.7%!
Choose Wisely & Keep in Communication
When it comes to insurance, there are hundreds of companies out there to choose from, choose wisely and pick a top-rated insurer. Pick an insurer that you feel will take care of you in the event of a car crash– not one that will try everything they can to not pay for your injuries should the need arise.
If you are changing insurers, make sure that you are covered at ALL times. Your rates may increase if your insurance coverage lapses. If you move, also make sure that you let your insurer know where you’ll be garaging your vehicle; otherwise, your auto policy may not apply should an accident happen.
Choose the Right Coverage
Before hitting the “purchase” button, do your homework and make sure you know what your policy will cover, and what it won’t. Minimal coverage gives you minimal protection, you’ll want to make sure that you have enough liability coverage for bodily injury and property damage. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
But be aware, some insurance agents might try to oversell you on coverages that you just might not need. Generally, you don’t need high coverage limits unless you own a very expensive vehicle, drive extensively, or don’t hold adequate health insurance.Put that difference in price to good use, and make sure uninsured motorist is on your insurance policy.
You don’t want to experience any additional issues especially when you are going through the trauma of a car accident. Be smart, do the proper research, compare quotes and coverages, and create an insurance package that works for you, not the insurance company.
Involved in a Car Accident? Call Mickey Keenan Law
Even if you carry top-notch car insurance, a car accident (even a fender bender) can have life-altering consequences. At Mickey Keenan P.A. we are committed to taking on the insurance company and making you whole again. Don’t settle for less than you deserve. If you have been in a car accident, and have suffered any injury or personal loss, we are here to help.
Call us today for a free consultation at 813-871-1300 or schedule an appointment with one of our veteran car injury attorneys, Alan Bulnes or Mickey Keenan. We’d be proud to help you as we would our own family.