request a consultation
Fill out our contact form and we’ll be in touch with you right away.
Avoid Holiday Slip and Falls
The holiday season brings about a time of joy and excitement but also brings about more injuries than any other time of year. As people are hustling and bustling during the holiday season, they may not exercise the same caution that they might during less hectic months.
Approximately 250 injuries occur a day during the months of November and December, and over one-third of those injuries are from slip and falls.
Holiday Slip and Falls Cause: Winter Weather
While Florida rarely sees snow and frozen patches of ice like our friends and family up north, it is still important to be cautious of walking around during a wintertime storm—even if it is just a Tampa Bay rain shower.
- Walkways should remain clear of clutter and yard debris, as that may increase the risk of slip and falls when wet.
- Make sure to wear proper rain boots when a rainstorm is expected or happening. Walking outside in inadequate shoes can increase your chances of falling.
- Make sure you watch the floors as you enter your home or a store, as they may be slippery and slick with water on the tile flooring. Falls in stores are common this time of year. If you were injured by someone’s negligence, call our lawyers to see what steps you can take next.
Holiday Slip and Falls Cause: Cooking
Nothing says the holidays like a delicious home cooked meal or treat. Spending time in the kitchen, however, also increases your risk for slip and falls.
- Clean up all spills right away. Any type of spill, whether liquid or solid, can be a slipping or tripping hazard for you or your guests.
- Close cabinets, pantry doors, and oven doors when you are finished with them.
- Push in all stools and chairs, as these pose a tripping hazard.
- Make sure the kitchen (and the rest of the house) is well-lit. Change any dimmed or burned-out light bulbs.
- If you’re going out to eat with family for the holiday, be careful with passing or carrying any hot plates around the table. That hot meal could burn you if you get tripped up on carpeting and fall.
Holiday Slip and Falls Cause: Shopping Trips
If you are planning to start your holiday shopping soon, be aware that you could be at a greater risk of a slip and fall accident during this hectic time of year.
Stores are busier, and employees and business owners may neglect to clean up spills and other hazards that can cause an accident before it’s too late. When holiday shopping, keep a sharp eye out for cluttered store aisles or merchandise that is blocking the aisles as an employee is stocking the shelves.
Holiday Slip and Falls Cause: Decorating
Decking the halls can lead to falls. Those festive lights and garlands can be dangerous. As you prepare to decorate your home, make sure to keep these tips in mind to remain safe.
- If you are using a ladder to put up decorations, make sure the ladder is stable and on flat, solid ground. Consider having someone “spot” you while on the ladder. Never let children climb the ladder without permission.
- Make sure all boxes, decorations, and other tripping hazards are placed out of the way when you are decorating.
- Never stand on furniture. Use a step stool or ladder to reach higher.
- Make sure all rugs are secure with slip-resistant backing.
- Don’t decorate under the influence of alcohol!
- Tie down and secure decorations to protect your property and neighbors from anything that may get caught by a blast of wintery wind. Holiday decorations can cause some decent damage or physical injuries.
I Had a Slip and Fall: What’s Next?
Private property owners and businesses have the legal obligation to keep their premises free and clear of known slip-and-fall hazards to help mitigate and prevent accidents. Under this obligation, homeowners and businesses are required to clear pathways, mop up water, and ensure that no extension cords or other hazards can become trip hazards to the people that may enter their property.
Also, business and property owners are required to place warning signs next to slippery or wet patches to help prevent slip and fall accidents.
Under Florida law, if you have been injured in a slip and fall accident due to a third party’s negligence, you may be eligible for compensation for your pain and suffering. Don’t delay. Contact an experienced slip and fall attorney immediately.
Injured in a Slip and Fall this Season?
If you find yourself injured from a holiday slip and fall it is important that you contact a knowledgeable personal injury lawyer at Mickey Keenan, P.A. If you fell at a business or family, or friend’s house, you may be entitled to compensation.
Navigating personal injury laws should not be done alone. We’ll help you find the care needed to help restore your quality of life after a bad fall. Schedule your free consultation with our South Tampa injury law firm today at (813) 871-1300 to see how we can help you become whole again after a slip and fall accident.